business skills part 1

business skills

business skills 




These blogs are a great tool for you to improve your business English skills. All of the topics are a little advanced but necessary to know. It's up to you to not only watch the videos but to also review and self-study. if you don't know a word check it in the dictionary. It's also important to repeat after the teacher. Repeating will help improve your intonation and pronunciation. It takes time and effort to improve your English so it's important to watch and review our videos as much as possible. I know you will enjoy the series let's start. Hello, everyone. 

My name is Robin and in this blog, I'm going to talk about 'titles'. Titles are very formal so when we're talking to someone in the business world we should use a title before their name. Now first I'm gonna talk about titles for people we know or people we just met. And later I'm gonna talk about titles for strangers. Let's take a look Okay I have five titles here. Very common titles. Maybe you've already heard about them or know them. Let's take a look. The first one M-r-s. is pronounced [misses], misses. And misses is used only for married women. Okay so if her last name is Smith I would call her Mrs. Smith. Okay, she's a married woman. 

The next one is to miss it. Miss and Miss are used for single women not married. Okay? So Mrs. Smith, oh I know she is married. Miss Smith, oh she's single. Okay again both of them are only used for women. Mrs. and Miss are a little bit old style. Okay? So we don't use those too much anymore. What we use nowadays is this one, m-s. The MS is pronounced [mizz], [mizz]. And we only use Ms. for women but we don't know if they're married or single. Okay? We're just using a title for women so in the very formal situation and in business this is what you should use Ms., Ms. Smith. Okay? Okay, so those are what we use for women. Over here we have Mr. And Mr., of course, is used for all men. 

It doesn't matter if they're married single. Every man is a mister. Okay, so again if his last name is Smith, Mr. Smith. And the last one doctor. Of course doctors we use for doctors. It doesn't matter if it's a woman or a man. All doctors should call doctors before their name so like Dr. Smith. Okay? So those are the titles. Again for business, you only need to know this one Ms. and this one Mr. Any man is Mr. and every woman should be Ms. Let's take a look at my name. Okay, of course, I'm a man so we should use Mr. But Mr., we should use it in a formal way so I wrote three styles here. One of them is wrong. Okay? Very wrong. Let's take a look. I have Mr.Robin Shaw, Mr. Robin, Mr. Shaw. Which one is wrong? Well, it is this one, Mr. Robin. Now a lot of my students say, Mr. Robin. Mr. Robin, Mr. Robin. 

This is wrong, okay? You got to be very careful. Robin is my first name. Okay? And in a formal situation don't just use the first name with Mr. Okay? So this is wrong. You never want to say, Mr. Robin. Mr. Robin Shaw. Okay, my first name is here but actually Mr. Shaw. Okay, This is this is a good way very formal. Mr. Robin Shaw or Mr. Shaw. Okay use this style or this style but never say this style. All right let's take a look at an example. I invited six people to my party. I invited Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Ms. Jane Spark, Miss Kirkland, Mr. Scott, and Dr. Casting. I invited six people to my party. I invited Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Ms. Jane Spark, Miss Kirkland, Mr. Scott, and Dr. Casting. Alright, now I'm gonna talk about some titles or expressions to use when you're walking in public and you don't know someone. Okay, you don't know their name, but you want to talk to them in a polite way. Okay very formal way And if you look here you might say excuse me you want to get someone's attention you say "excuse me." Okay, there are four main ways. 

This is for men. This is for women. So let's start with the men. So, very simple "excuse me, sir". Okay very polite, "excuse me, sir." "Excuse me Mr.", "Excuse me Mr." This is the best one but this one is also possible. Okay, when you don't know their name, "excuse me sir" or "may I help you, sir?". Okay, the other two are for women. Now you can say "excuse me ma'am" "excuse me, ma'am". This is usually for older women. "Excuse me ma'am" and "Excuse me miss" is for younger women. So probably under age 20. Okay under age 20 we would probably say "miss". So young women and even children females women "excuse me ma'am", "excuse me, miss". "May I help you, ma'am?", "May I help you, miss?" Okay, so all of these very polite and you should use them. Alright, so that's titles for people we know. Titles for people we don't know - if you want to speak in a polite way you should always use titles. It shows a lot of respect. Okay, that's it for this video see you next time. 

Hello everyone I'm Robin and in this blog  we're gonna talk about being fired okay there are many expressions in English that express being fired of course when you're fired from a job that's a terrible thing because you lost your job and as I said there are lots of expressions to express being fired let's take a look now I'm gonna use the sentence he was of course it could work for men he or women she he was she was he was fired all right that's the most common way to express being fired he was fired but there are some other ones and this is the first group there will be a second group later let's take a look he was fired 

he was laid off okay now fired is probably your fault the employee fault but if you're laid off that's the company fault the company has some financial difficulties so they have to layoff many workers he was dismissed okay he was dismissed this is kind of a polite way to say he's fired he was let go okay fired is a very terrible word he was fired he was let go means the same thing but it's not as powerful so it's a little nicer to say he was let go he was released again kind of a more polite way to say he was fired and last one he was terminated this is actually very strong terminated cut 

he was terminated all right this is the first group but there's more let's move on here's the second group of expressions remember they all mean the same thing to be fired or right so there's lots of slang and idioms to look at the first one dumped he was dumped again it just means fired he was sacked he was sacked he was canned he was canned he was axed he was axed now an axe is like an axe to cut a tree so he was axed similar he was cut now the last two idioms also very common he was given the boot the boot he was given the boot so he was kicked out of the company and he was given the pink slip okay now a long time ago when someone was fired from a company they were given a form to say you're fired and the color of this form was usually pink okay so this expression given the pink slip that means he's fired these days they don't use that form anymore but they still use the expression or the idiom here to mean that person is fired alright so these are also all very common and very good to use to talk about when someone is fired alright so again being fired is a terrible thing but in English we have a lot of expressions that mean you are fired alright so I hope you learned a few more today that's it and I'll see you next time.

 hello I'm bill and in this blog we're going to talk about how you can introduce yourself and your job because when you're meeting new people knowing what you do for a living is kind of important and it happens a lot so think about what's important about who you are and what you do for work now think about the three most important things they are easy your name standard 

when you introduce yourself and then also your title now your title is what you do at your job maybe you are an accountant an engineer maybe you do marketing or you're a Salesman or a manager any of these things okay that tells a lot about you as a person or what your job title is and then also company what company do you work for because different companies do different things if you work for a company like Samsung you probably know a lot about electronics if you work a lot of work for a company like Doosan you probably know more about heavy machinery and industry so that explains a lot about who you are as well so if you're introducing yourself and your job you want to focus name title company the orders not too important we'll talk about that later but here as an example,

 I will introduce myself to you so you can see how people do it alright let's take a look at my example okay so this is my official introduction I say hello my name is Bill and I am an English professor at a university in Suwon so one more time this is how I say my introduction hello my name is Bill and I am an English professor at a university in Suwon as you just saw 

I clearly said my name my title and my company now there are many universities in Suwon that's why I didn't say the exact name because not everyone knows every University in Suwon but that's okay not very important also just remember always start name first then company and title you can put them in a different order if you want to and in the next examples you can see how there are different ways to organize your introduction let's take a look to let's look at a few examples of how to introduce you and your job my name is David and 

I am a director at SK again my name is David and I am a director at SK there's another way to do it I'm Paul and I currently work in the human resources department at Doosan let's do it again I'm Paul and I currently work in the human resources department at Doosan now we'll take one more look yeah my name is Chris and I do marketing for Samsung listen again my name is Chris and I do marketing for Samsung so there you have it several examples that can help you remember how to do this okay if you remember them you should be more than ready and confident to introduce yourself and your job 

I hope this was helpful and I'll see you next video hello I'm bill and in this video I'm gonna tell you about two questions you need to know for business okay now they're really easy so you should not have any stress about this okay what we have here is this question what do you do now if you say it really fast what do you do gets a little sounds a little strange but just don't worry go natural with it what do you do what do you do what do you do that's what people want to know now if this question we're longer what do you do on the weekend well now it's about your weekend your hobbies your fun time but if the question is just what do you do it's about work and that's all it is so if you ask me what do you do 

I say I'm a teacher that's my job that's my work now, of course, you may have to change a to an if you're I'm an engineer or I'm a student just the a-ok that's what we have so think job title for this one now there's also here I'm in charge of now in charge that means duty what are you responsible for what do you need to do for your job if you're a leader of a marketing team you may say I'm in charge of a marketing team you're the leader that's your duty take care of them or you ask me 

I'm in charge of helping my students that's what I have to do so I'm in charge of my students of course a very easier than that we have the simpl where do you work now you can say the company name you can be very specific and say something like I work at worry Bank or you don't have to say the company name you can just say I work at a bank that's fine too let's look at some example dialogue where we put these two questions together okay all right here's our first examples here the question was what do you do well the easy answers I'm a doctor or I'm a banker or I'm an accountant what's whatever you do the next question where do you work well 

I work at a bank I work at a store I work at a school just the place you work at put that in there all right just like those two phrases I just showed you there's another question that's very common especially in American conversation and it goes like this what do you do for a living now for a living you know we all have to live we all have to pay for it so that's our job right there so it's basically asking how do you pay for your life what do you do for a living now just like the what do you do question you can simply answer I'm a teacher I'm an engineer I'm an accountant or you can go ahead and give a full-length description of I work 

in the personnel department at SK so you can keep it short you can keep it long that's okay let's take a look at examples of long and short answers to this question all right now here's the longer question what do you do for a living now the short answer would just be I'm a teacher and that's fine but you can also give a longer answer like I work in the legal department for Lotte so here you can go short answer or long answer both are okay okay so there you have it three simple questions you can use when you meet new people in business so what do you do which is always about work remember that what do you do people want to know about your job than me where do you work just,

 what's your company where is it what do you do and then, of course, what do you do for a living that's all about how you earn your money so you can live I hope this was helpful for you and I'll see you next video hello everyone 

I am Robin and in this video we are gonna learn some very useful expressions to describe a co-worker who is too nice to your boss or manager alright now in every company there are some employees your coworker who are too nice to the boss ok and why are they too nice well maybe they want a promotion or they want a higher salary they want some sort of advantage so they are very nice to the boss and maybe they don't even like the boss but they are still always nice to the boss very friendly to the boss always doing what the boss asks them to do and maybe they even give gifts to the boss there are always nice to the boss well, of course, we don't like those people we hate those people and we hate those coworkers so we're gonna use these expressions now these expressions can be used for both men and women and they are negative ok so we want to call these people very negative names we don't like them the first one a yes-man very easy to understand so a yes-man if 

I said he's a yes-man that means he always says yes to the boss ok whatever the boss asks him to do he says yes he never says no because the boss might be angry or upset if he says no so he's a yes-man he always says yes the next one very negative let's use a girl she's a bootlicker she's a bootlicker ok so you have to imagine a boot and someone licking the boot ok very negative so that means if the boss asks to lick my boot she would say yes okay so that just means whatever the boss asks she will do so we would say she's a bootlicker okay the next one sucking up okay 

she's always sucking up okay she's always sucking up means she's always too nice to the boss okay she's sucking up the last two my favorite they're very bad okay let's take a look the first one ass kisser this is your ass so someone who is an ass kisser he's an ass kisser the boss has an ass and he's kissing the ass okay that means he's - really - nice - the boss 

we call him an ass kisser he doesn't really kiss the boss's ass but he's too nice and the last one brown-noser she's a brown-noser okay she's again too nice to the boss she's a brown-noser now brown-noser the nose is brown why well similar to ass kisser the brown noser is kissing the ass and then get some shit on their nose because they're always kissing ass so she's a brown noser or he's a brown noser very negative thing to call your coworker who is too nice to the boss all right let's take a look at a few examples sentences to help us understand these expressions all right let's take a look at the first example he is a yes man he agrees with all the boss's ideas even the stupid ideas 

he is a yes man he agrees with all the boss's ideas even the stupid ideas and the next one he always sucks up to the boss he always sucks up to the boss in the next one she is such a bootlicker she actually hates the boss but acts friendly to him she is such a bootlicker she actually hates the boss but acts friendly to him all right let's look at the next one Steve is a big ass kisser he even washes the CEOs car on Sunday Steve is a big ass kisser he even washes the CEOs car on Sunday and the last one I hate brown nosers they always get more perks I hate brown nosers they always get more perks are you an ass kisser are you a brown-noser okay well from my experience of course

I worked at many companies and schools sometimes I do suck up to the boss you know happy boss is certainly better than an angry boss but generally I'm not always a brown-noser just sometimes be very careful if you call someone a brown-noser or ass-kisser it's very negative okay so you can talk to your coworkers he's a brown-noser but if you say you are brown noser very negative that person's going to be angry all right so 

I hope you understand these expressions and I hope you use them correctly that's it and I'll see you next time hello I'm Robin and in this video we're going to talk about some business expressions asking about price and also answering about price all right now first we're gonna look at the questions on how to ask about price and here they are now we're gonna begin with how much first so of course the most basic question to ask about price is how much is it how much is it so if you want to know the price or the cost of something that's the easiest most common way how much is it all 

right now here are some more you might hear they're all common how much does it run how much does it run or sometimes people say how much does it run for okay don't be confused by run this is just talking about the cost how much does it run how much does it cost okay again very basic how much does it cost you want to know how much it costs the price how much does it sell for how much will it cost me how much will it cost me okay and the last one 

how much are you asking how much are you asking now all of these questions are the same they're asking for the price or the cost of something so the answer to all these question questions where ever you're talking to would be the same answer all right now instead of how much some people will say what and you see this blue line you never say what is it it's always how much is it but for these ones people can use what so you can say what does it run what does it cost what does it sell for what will it cost me what are you asking what is possible - okay 

I prefer you to use how much but you can also use what certainly you have to know both ways in case someone says what or how much all right let's move on to how to answer someone asks you how much is something and you have to answer these are the best ways and the most common ways to answer all right now 

I'm gonna use $100 for every answer so you can understand they all mean the same thing so the most common way is it's $100 how much is it how much does it sell for it's $100 okay now if it's not exactly $100 we're gonna use about or around okay so how much is it it's about $100 it's around $100 okay and here are three more not so common as the top two you're still gonna hear them it sells for $100 it sells for $100 it goes for $100 it's priced at $100 okay so all of these are the same thing answering how much something costs okay so the top two ways that are the most common but these ones are a little bit common you will hear them so you should know them it sells for $100 it goes for $100 it's priced at $100 okay let's look

 at some example sentences okay let's look at the first example dialogue how much is it it's about two dollars how much is it it's about two dollars and the next one excuse me what does this car sell for this one sells for $9,000 excuse me what does this car sell for this one sells for 9000 and the next one do you want to buy a membership to the fitness center how much does it run it's about $100 a month no thanks do you want to buy a membership to the fitness center how much does it run it's about $100 a month no thanks the next one honey we should take a trip to 

Europe how much will it cost us tickets go for $8,000 okay let's go in June honey we should take a trip to Europe how much will it cost us tickets go for $8,000 okay let's go in June and the last example what are you asking for this ring this one is priced at $500 oh that's a little too expensive for me what are you asking for this ring this one is priced at $500 oh that's a little too expensive for me so these are the most common ways and best ways to ask about price and answer about price, okay so you should study these expressions they're very useful very helpful you must know them that's it for this video and I'll see you next time hi

 I'm bill and in this video we're gonna talk about some business small talk now we remember small talk is just conversations that are not important okay they're not about giving a lot of details it's just easy conversation usually when you don't know what else to talk about now these questions are about business and you can use them at work with a co-worker

 you can use it when you meet friends or just when you're having conversations with new people it can also be a get to know you kind of question and well the first one here would be house business or like housework kind of like that just how is your job going now remember you don't care about details it's just how's business so a positive answer would just be business is great to thank you for asking or I'm having a very good month at my job no stress but then there's also the negative side how's business oh it's not good right now my company is losing money or oh I have too much work to do 

I'm so busy it happens okay but now this is the short one how's business you can also go with the what has business been like it's kind of this week or last month very close how has business been same meaning just a different way of asking the question same thing what has business been like nowhere the answer would probably be something like business has been good business has been not so good let's take a look at some written examples really quick all right here are some first examples okay question is how's business well you can say business is good or you could say work is good then kind of bad right now because it's not always good sometimes work is not good and then the other question 

what's business been like you can say it's been all right you could say it's been stressful or it's been a good month so far all right now let's say you're in a situation you're not at work you're out to dinner you're meeting new people and someone asks you how's business well maybe you don't want to talk about your job you want to talk about something else well there are easy ways to move on from the question polite ways and easy ways so if someone asks you how's business you can just quickly say it's the same old same old fast answer no details and it answers their question but also hints to them let's talk about something else you can also just do the business is business just my business is my business 

that's what it is so let's take a look at some written examples of using these to avoid the question now for when you want to avoid the question the question is how's business you can quickly end the conversation by saying it's the same old same old or you could say business is business here's a very simple dialogue that you might see so bill says hey Bob how's business bob says Oh business is business bill says 

I see Bob how's your work bill it's the same old same old okay I hope you found this helpful and if you can remember to start the conversation how's business what has business been like but then of course if you want to avoid the conversation and not talk about business you can just do it's the same old same old or businesses business because it always is alright 

I hope you learned something to see you next blog hello everyone I'm bill and today we're gonna talk about some easy questions you can ask or maybe you get asked when you meet a foreign visitor for the first time okay because we got to remember maybe you meet them at the airport when they come in maybe you meet them at your office when they visit or maybe at a business dinner you get introduced to someone you say your name's shake hands this is a good thing to say okay now we all know to get to Korea people have to travel very far usually so it's always nice to ask how was the flight cuz sometimes it's a long airplane ride a long flight so if you ask how was the flight maybe 

it was fine or I slept the whole way if they're lucky I can't sleep on airplane so I'm jealous then you also have was your journey okay same thing just a different way of saying it'd be yes it was long but it was comfortable that's alright but now also maybe you are in a different country and you meet someone and they ask you was your flight okay was it okay coming here and again you can just say it was good thank you or mmm not too comfortable or this service was not very good so really you can get different answers for all of these questions people can talk about how long the flight was how comfortable they were the service they received so a lot of different ways to answer these so let's take a look at some sample dialogues that show how these are used all right here's dialogue one you say how was your flight the visitor it was comfortable but 

I still had a hard time sleeping so you should say I'm sorry to hear that and visitor that's okay I can rest at the hotel dialogue - you can ask was your journey okay visitor it was fine to thank you for asking so here you just respond it was my pleasure dialogue 3 now if you travel maybe the foreigner says to you was the flight, okay and maybe you answer it was alright but the service was slow so the foreigner says maybe you should try another airline company next time and you can say

I think I will alright now you have three easy questions you can ask a foreign visitor when you meet them for the first time just uh how was your flight was the journey ok was the flight ok so if you're when you're introduced to a foreign visitor don't be nervous because this is a very simple thing you can ask them when you're shaking their hand alright I hope you can remember this and I'll see you next time 

hello I'm bill now maybe you saw in another blog we talked about asking a foreign visitor about their flight over well that's good now to continue from that though a good thing to ask them about would be how is the hotel they're staying in because some people they don't like sleeping in hotels so nice hotel is always good now the question you can ask very easy would be how is the hotel again this shows that you care and you worry about them well there's different things they can talk about when they answer your question

they could talk about the service at the hotel now the service would be are the workers friendly do they have good food at the hotel if there's a problem do they fix it quickly all right now also the comfort of the hotel okay is it clean very important is it clean is the bed nice do they have soft pillows alright that's important because they want to feel comfortable 

when they're in a foreign country and then another thing that they could talk about would be location of the hotel is the location a very noisy place okay that makes it hard for them to sleep at night or is the location good in that is the location close to things that the visitor wants to see and do is it a interesting location or is it a boring location but still asking the visitor how is the hotel is a good way to make them feel more comfortable with you so let's take a look at sentences in how this is used and answered ok so the question is how is the hotel well possible answers can be I have everything 

I need the service is friendly the location is close to where I need to be it's very comfortable all are very possible answers okay now I want to tell you another way to ask this question about how is the hotel now a common question that people ask would be this it is is the hotel - you're suiting now this is underlined here for because - you're suiting just means the same as is the hotel something you like is it likeable do you like it so because it starts with is this quick answer would just be yes it is or no it isn't but you could get longer because this is a long question so let's give a good answer so we ask is the hotel - you're suiting common answer it suits me just fine or it suits me well enough but you can also just say things like 


I think it's good or I am comfortable they're just very basic answers about the hotel let's see some written examples on how this is used the question is is the hotel - you're suiting and your possible answers can be yes it is Thanks it suits me just fine or I am happy there all are possible and fine answers so there you have ways to ask a foreign visitor how is the hotel because it's important for them to be comfortable while they're visiting your company so just remember how is the hotel and is the hotel - you're suiting both mean the same thing but just different ways of saying it keeps it more interesting for when you're talking so 

I hope that helps you and I hope you remember it see you next time what's the worst hotel used to that worst hotel I've ever stayed at it's a dingy little villa Hotel in New Orleans one time for Mardi Gras they said it was great because it was really close to downtown but it was more of like closets that they made into a small hotel room just to make money off tourists now the blankets in the bed were clean but now the rest of it wasn't at all it was the floor was pretty dirty the bathroom was dirty and it was way too expensive because they were taking advantage of the holiday no 

I don't it was about nine years ago probably just the one in Bohr young because the mud festival was happening just because there is everywhere every place in Boreum during the mud festival is dirty because people walk around covered in mud so no matter where you go everywhere there's mud inside-outside there is no clean place and again Thursday night we got there the hotel was only thirty thousand long but then Friday because it's the weekend they told us next night is a hundred thousand won and no matter what 

I did there was mud and sand everywhere even in the bed even in the bathroom just can't stop it thankyou for reading the vext part will become soon.

Post a Comment

0 Comments